About Hervey Bay
A little bit of history... Hervey Bay was named after Lord Augustus Hervey, the Earl of Bristol and Captain Cook’s superior.
Hervey Bay was first settled in the 1850’s, with Boyd Martin and his family being the first permanent white settlers.
In the 1870’s many Scandinavian settlers moved into the area – with dairy and sugar cane being the main farming practices.
In 1917 the Urangan Pier was completed – an important port for the export of sugar.
The villages of Pialba, Scarness, Torquay, Pt Vernon and Urangan were declared the town of Hervey Bay in 1977, and later declared a city in 1988.
With a population of 70,000 or more residents, Hervey Bay is now referred to as the ‘Whale Watching Capital of the World’.
Hervey Bay is a great place to visit and an even better place to live.
Modern Hervey Bay is a thriving business, medical, tourist and educational precinct including:
Hervey Bay Airport, Urangan
University of Southern Queensland, Pialba
Wide Bay Institute of TAFE, Urraween
St Stephens Hospital, Urraween
Hervey Bay Hospital, Urraween
Fraser Coast Regional Council, Torquay
Hervey Bay Tourist Information Centre, Nikenbah
WetSide Water Education Park, Pialba
Fraser Coast Discovery Sphere, Pialba
Hervey Bay Botanical Gardens, Urangan
Hervey Bay Driving School
Never drive through floodwater
More than half of flood-related deaths are a result of driving through floodwater. Any ...